Sunday, July 19, 2009

CHICAGO: Albert Castiglia Cool River Draught House and Eatery









I went to the Cool River Draught House and Eatery in hopes of getting an interview with Albert Castiglia. We had prearranged one, but it was not to be. Albert was just too busy and I really did not mind, because what happened when he hit the stage made up for it all.

The Cool River Draught House and Eatery is rapidly becoming the spot to hear the blues and this past Friday night was no exception. Albert Castiglia and his band took the stage at exactly 9:30PM. Albert counted off and BAM the joint was jumping, I say the joint was JUMPING! This guy and his band can play my friends. Those of you, who know me, know that I am a blues fanatic. If someone claims to be a blues band and plays R&B, disco, house, rock or anything else I get up and leave. I recently did just that at a “Too Slim and the Tail Draggers” gig, too rocky for me. I’m sure someone can say, well it was rock blues. Well it still has that word rock, so that makes it “not my kinda blues.”

I stayed all night long or at least as long as I could. I had L V Banks with me and every time I bring LV Banks to the Cool River I drive 150 miles. During the first break L V got out of his seat walked over to Albert put his arm around him. It was as if the king just knighted a loyal subject and Albert was his new knight. What an honor. During the drive to L V’s home, he said over and over “Man that boy can play. Yes sir, he sure can pick. He is a blues man."

Albert’s band contains Sue Riveria on keys, Steve Gaskell on bass and Bob Amsel on drums. They are all stand out musicians and I might add very nice people. It was a pleasure to spend time with them. I talked to both Steve and Bob about their job and we all agreed that the rhythm section is the most important element in any blues band. I am a bass player and can contest to that. We discussed the fact that if a drummer or bass man stops in the middle of a song everybody knows it. A guitar player can stop whenever he wants, drink coffee (AL) or walk off the stage, go to the head and come back to a thundering applause. The bass and drums keep pumping no matter what, until the proverbial head nod or arm raise which signals the end. Those signals are very welcome ladies and gentlemen, especially when you have played “Shotgun” for twenty minutes.

I saw Albert Castiglia two nights in a row. He was just as good one night as the other. Albert pulled off some real sweet slide work. He has the soul and emotion for what he does. He is not a blues wannabe. With the advent of youtube any nine year old can learn how to play. I’ve said this before and I will say this again, back in the day you had to drop a needle to learn a song. You cannot tell me that a nine year old knows about the blues. He cannot possibly. Some of these wanabe’s are really good, but just playing a guitar does not make one a blues artist. I find it funny when a kid sings my baby left me. I know of one 16 or17 year old guitar player that is dynamite and his parents are the first ones to tell you that. Unfortunately those same parents are ruining it for their son. They think they know how to get him to the big stage. They have no idea what it takes and basically are wasting time. They also are burning bridges along the way. His parents had better get it together before it is too late.

I've often wonder what dark deep part of the world does a blues man go to to earn that emotion and soul? What part of their heart was torn out? Where is that guy who made a pact with you know who? I am not talking about Lord Voldermort or whoever. I’ll never know the answers to those questions. What I know is this, Albert has it and I hope he does not lose it for a long, long, time. Thank you guys and Sue for a wonderful blues filled night at the Cool River Draught House and Eatery.

BLUES ME OR LOSE ME

Terrance "Gatorman" Lape




4 comments:

  1. Nice work, Gatorman, makes me feel like I wanna
    be there, man! (and I will one of these fine days)
    The Cool River Club, super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the feedback. Now I know someone is out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice place. Great People. when Billy Branch Played a couple flew in From Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't agree more and I have only seen the band on three or four occasions in the northeast. Just reading this makes me break out one of the several CD's I purchased on those occasions. I love the emotion the article brings up in me about Albert, the rythm section (my son is a drummer) and you've pleased me greatly by validating my reaction to this group. He is truly a Blues artist and has put together a crack band for the performnces.
    Tom Islip NY

    ReplyDelete