Wednesday, October 21, 2009

CHICAGO BLUES: Memphis Dallas and Smilin Bobby Video Interview by Terry "Gatorman" Lape




Last Thursday Night I spent in Memphis with my fellow blogger Robert "Nighthawk" Tooms. He is the keyboard and Mississippi saxophone player for the "Reba Russell band." Nocturnal Bird of Prey and I had a BBQ dinner like none other. Man, oh, man it was finger licking good. There are a lot of BBQ joints in Memphis and you really have to know a local to find the right joint. Nighthawk had told me previously about the best BBQ joint, but he did not pack his pistol so we went to another more touristy spot. After the BBQ we went to a local place called Neil's. Neil's is a very nice corner type bar. It is complete with pool tables, back entrances and bathrooms with no names on them. (Sorry Susy). The thing I liked the most was that the Memphis Blues Society was having their Thursday Night Jam session. Robert and I played a couple of songs and had a real good time. Nighthawk introduced me to all the pickers. They all were exceptional blues players. In 1977 our illustrious congress voted Memphis the home of the blues.

The reason that I stopped in Memphis is because I was on my way to Dallas to the world's largest guitar show. Memphis is just about half-way between Chicago and Dallas. One day's drive to Memphis and another to Dallas. I might add my 1995 Saturn logged 37 miles to the gallon. Not bad folks. My visit to Dallas was two fold. My daughter is studying musical theater at a Dallas Conservatory and of course the guitar show. Dallas is nice, but unfortunately I was too busy to seek out any blues clubs. I did however go to a musical in Fort Worth. Had a nice time at the theater, but it sure wasn't the blues.
Because of this past week on the road I am posting the following interview with My Blues Mentor Smiling Bobby.
This video was produced a number of years ago and was shot by my friend Jim Quattrocki plus

"Smiling Bobby" from Jim Quattrocki on Vimeo.

Until next week
Gatorman
www.chicagobluesnews.com

Blues me or lose me and If your Rocking I'm Walking.





Bookmark us at: http://www.AmericanBluesBlog.com


No comments:

Post a Comment