Saturday, December 26, 2009

Washington DC Blues : Michael Burks by Bluesman




The Blues in our nations capital . We have some of the very best Blues coming thru our area , and some of the best Blues I have heard lately comes from the hot hands of Michael Burks .

I had the opportunity to see Mr Burks at a small venue called The State Theatre in Falls Church , Virginia . This is a renovated movie theatre that still has the balcony that graced many of the better theatres in out great country . It also has a dance floor in front of the stage , but , me being the lousy dancer I am , used it to get closer to the action . Closer to the Blues .

Michael Burks plays the Blues with the intensity of the great Blues artists of the past , and has a strong vocal style that reminds me of the great BB King during his heyday . The house was full of intense smokin' non stop Blues that electrified the small but appreciative crowd . It never ceases to amaze me that people are unaware of Blues artists like Michael Burks . I agree that the "main stream" artists ike Eric Clapton , Joe Perry , BB King , Jeff Beck and others too numerous to mention , are great musicians and worthy of the praise they receive from fans and critics , but THIS I know ... the only difference between these artists and Michael Burks is experience ; time in the studio and on the road .

Michael Burks is constantly on the road , and I would highly recommend catching one of his shows when he comes to your area . He plays many of the Blues festivals around the country , and I will post his tour dates on this site once the new year starts .

I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year ! Due to this being Christmas Eve , todays post will be short . Here's hoping that Santa brings everyone what they want ( IF you can afford it ) , and please stay tuned to Washington DC Blues for all the best Blues news in the area !


Merry Christmas

Bluesman

No comments:

Post a Comment