Thursday, January 14, 2010

Buddy Guy's Legends by Gatorman


Buddy Guy’s Legends featuring Buddy Guy


January 7, 2010 (Chicago), I was invited to Buddy Guy’s Legends by his assistant Isabelle.  My buddy Dave picked me up for the hazardous snow storm blizzard, snow blowing, trip. BGL is just about 60 miles north of my small rural homestead. I actually would have canceled if Dave had not graciously volunteered to drive. Dave is an ex-national guardsman combat medic and a Fire department captain/paramedic with twenty years of emergency services, so I thought go for it. If I was going to be stuck in an emergency situation such as a blizzard he is the guy to be stuck with.  Besides I got him his ticket, albeit a forty dollar one. He also is an excellent driver. Yeah Right!

We arrived at BGL at 7PM Mr. Guy was not scheduled to kick off until 10:30. One thing about BGL they do stick to the schedule. Nice. We looked around for an empty seat and there were just two left.  I’ll share a secret with anyone planning on visiting BGL. GO EARLY. I’m talking 1:00 PM early. Have lunch then have dinner because the food is excellent. The two empty seats were at the table of my two new friends, Nicole and Ryan Kibiloski. I asked if they were taken and they were not. Bam, we sat as fast we could. The seats were maybe 50 feet from the stage. There were located directly in front of the soundboard. Anyone who is  blues club veteran knows the best sound is right in front of the board.


We chatted about the blues and as it turns out they admitted that this was there first time. My friend Dave told them that they were in luck the professor of bluesology was sitting at their table, namely me.
I gave Ryan a list of names for him to look up on youtube. I knew he had a computer because he is a securities broker. His wife Nicole is a Montessori Teacher and as a matter of fact is opening a new center in Woodridge , Illinois.

Diamond Jim Greene opened up and was followed by Big James and the Chicago Playboys following. Kudos to James and the Playboys, because they unlike so many horn bands I have heard, actually tuned up the horns.
Buddy Guy’s band took the stage and kicked off a shuffle that cooked and Buddy had not even taken the stage.

Buddy Guy strutted on the stage like a man 1/3 his age. He wore a black beret, a red tuxedo with tails, a Fender Strat and a smile from ear to ear. MR GUY WAS IN THE HOUSE.  I am not lying to you the readers I was totally floored concerning his performance. You hear a lot of good and a lot of bad about Buddy. It comes with the territory, I know why some of the greatest guitar players in the world hold Mr. Guy in such high esteem. He is the ultimate example of Electric Chicago Blues. I know I’ll get comments about that statement, but I do not care what anyone else thinks. He is the greatest electric blues guitarist in not only Chicago, but perhaps the world.

One Parting Thought; there is a reason why people like Eric, Stevie, Jeff Beck Jimi Hendrix and numerous others sought him out, HE IS THE BEST.  Thank you MR. Buddy Guy, for letting me take your photo. Now how about that interview? 
Isabelle thank you from the bottom of my heart you are the best.
Blues Me Or Lose Me
Terry Lape AKA Gatorman
Copyright 2010 Terrance B. Lape







Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment